Monday, March 17, 2014

Bedroom Makeover Step 3: The Duvet

I can't help it.

I love it.

It is loud.

It is obnoxious.

It threatens to be the unruly child who won't get along with others and will be difficult to control.

And decor-wise? I'm probably in way over my head. I'm no Jenny Komenda.

It just mind end up being the boss of me.

See what I mean?



I first saw it on a web site and I fell in love. Totally and irrevocably. I had been looking for something colourful for about two years. Could this be it?

source: Macy's via Maria Killam


After waiting 24 hours and talking it over with my husband, I pulled the trigger.

I had already painted the room in a Martha Stewart Living colour, Glass of Milk --and I'd purchased the paint I wanted to use for the headboard wall. I didn't open it.

I waited for the duvet to arrive.



The teal in the duvet was more green than blue. And the yellow was loud--and the red a pure, bold chinese red.

I bought another can of paint.



I painted the wall.

And then I did nothing.

To be honest, I was scared of that riotous duvet. I told myself I loved all the colour I already had going on.

the intense minty wall, the red, yellow and gray. This was lots of delicious colour!

I told myself it was enough. For an entire month, (a month!) I let the expensive duvet lanquish in the laundry room waiting for its first wash. (I always wash textiles before they go anywhere near my skin.)

I was getting used to it. Yeah, that was it. No. I was worried I'd made an enormous, indulgent mistake.

Until last night when I washed it and wrestled the duvet into it. (After vacuuming and rotating the mattress, of course!)

I love it all over again.

that I already own a coordinating print is pure kismet.

Bonus: I have finally, finally completed the three items related to the bedroom from the gargantuan "To Do" list I built in June, 2013.

Master Bedroom:

Paint room.
Paint headboard wall with something stencillish.
Buy or make a new duvet cover.
Then:

July, 2013

Now:

March 2014

check, check and check!

12 comments :

Marie said...

Alana, your room is absolutely gorgeous! It looks very "grown up" now. The headboard wall paint is perfect!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your new look in your bedroom is lovely.

FlowerLady

Colleen said...

LOVE it! your new room looks absolutely fantastic!

Alana in Canada said...

Thank you, all. You've put a huge grin on my face.

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

It looks fabulous! I have loved that print for a while, I tried to talk my mom into getting it as a shower curtain a while back, but she didn't have your vision :-) The room looks lovely.

onshore said...

I love it too! It's perfect!
Bold choice, but a very very good one.

Rita@thissortaoldlife said...

I think it looks great! I love all those colors. Cane is a fan of only neutrals on the walls so I don't get to play with wall color much--but I love that green with your duvet cover. I'd make a bad pun about green and envy, but it's too late at night for that. :-)

t said...

Love it - glad you pulled the trigger. It looks fabulous and pulls everything together so well.

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Great choice - I love it too! And you picked the perfect paint color for your walls - it all coordinates beautifully!

Heather said...

Your duvet is lovely. I love your colorful bed, and the green wall behind it! Nicely done.

Gretchen said...

love it! I clicked over from the Best of the Nest party because I had to see that duvet up close :). So pretty!

Stacey said...

I love it!! The green wall was a great idea. That print is colorful and fun. You did good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...