Thursday, April 3, 2014

One Room Challenge: Mom's Bedroom. Week 1

I have been an avid fan of the One Room Challenge for a few years, now. Essentially, a bunch of blogger, hand-picked by Linda of Calling It Home blog take on the challenge to transform a room in just six week--and blog about it in real time.

This time, Linda has thrown the challenge open to anyone who wants to participate, and since my Mom called me in a panic just last week about what were we going to do with her bedroom, I've decided to accept the challenge!

And it will be a challenge!

First, the room is at my Mom's, meaning I will have to go over there to get things done. Second, my Mom is a bit of a hoarder. She is changing her ways--but the process takes time and gentleness. She is highly motivated to create a pretty room--I just have to be careful the stuff in here doesn't become a problem somewhere else. Third, she is raising my six year old nephew and isn't in the best of health, so though I want to get things done in six weeks, I am not going to insist on any particular pace for her to get things done. It's also her dime!

Lastly, there's the room itself.

It was built during the disastrous renovations which my Mom had done on her house more than twenty years ago. There aren't proper frames around the windows, so any curtain hardware we mount tends to pull out of the wall. The windows are also cold--so she currently has up two sets of curtains.

They are the first thing you see when you enter the room:


Immediately to the left of where I was standing to take the picture above, the wall with the door, is this:


You can't tell from the way I took that picture, but the doorway is not flat on the wall: it is angled. The room needs baseboards and because of the angles, they will be a challenge to cut and install.

At the foot of the bed is a closet and a funny little alcove where is currently keeping a couple of duelling dressers. Discussing it, Mom and I have no idea why she didn't just make this area a very large closet. Then again, I am hoping we can carve out a little space for her to do the yoga she wants to do.


And lastly, opposite this wall is the headboard wall.

Or, it will be, once we have a headboard!


I caught Mom on a bad day: she wasn't expecting me to come and take pictures of her bedroom! But she is a good sport. When she saw them she said they'd just make the "afters" look a whole lot better!

This is our inspiration image.

I have checked Amber Interiors but haven't been able to find any other shots of the room to help us.
Isn't it gorgeous?


Bring it on.



Here's to all the other linking participants and our first week!

8 comments :

Andrea said...

That Amber Interiors bedroom is one of my favorites... I have it pinned in my Master Bedroom inspiration file as well! I cannot wait to watch as you transform this room!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Holly Gruszka said...

You will make this room into a dream especially if you're using Amber Interiors space as your inspiration. Onward and upward! :)

Alana in Canada said...

Thank you, Ladies! Budget is a consideration, though!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I agree with your mom, you will have great after shots :). I think you will be able to go a long way on a little budget. Think Ikea. Good luck and thanks for joining.

Alana in Canada said...

Thank you Linda. There will be a lot of DIY in this one! And Ikea...oh, yes, our wonderful Swedish friend will certainly put in appearance! Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Just found your through the ORC! We are tackling our master bedroom as well. All the best on your mom's room! Can't wait to see the progress! Love the light fixture in your inspiration picture :)
Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

Tiffany said...

I love that you're doing this for your mom and the inspiration picture is gorgeous. I'm excited to see the transformation:)

kate@willowinteriors said...

This is going to look great! I can't wait to see more. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...