Thursday, October 2, 2014

ORC Week 1: The Befores, The Vision and The Punch List


Are you ready for a crazy ride?

The next six weeks will be absolutely awesome as we participate in Linda's One Room Challenge (tm). As Linda says, the purpose of the challenge is to give us that little push and incentive to get that room done! And so it will.

I have been dithering about my living room for years. I have put drapes up and taken them down. I have dreamed of slipcovering the couch for years--yet, I have never actually gone ahead and done it. But, now is the time. I've had visions of this room for ages, now it is time to make it happen.

The Befores:

Here is where we were in May when I decided to do the challenge.


I was looking after my nephew that day. He wanted to pose for me.

We fixed a problem we had had with the roof which caused water damage in that left back corner a couple of years ago: but we didn't deal with the bubbling plaster and peeling paint until March of this year.  Here it is all patched and primed and ready for paint (which I think I have started).






We need to put up a piece of moulding over the chimney breast.


Here you can see the wall was two different shades of yellow. On the bottom we had Papaya (or French Vanilla CC248) and in the coving, Cable Knit (CC 306), both by Benjamin Moore.



The gallery wall. I think my nephew was a bit annoyed with me and my camera! That sofa clearly needs to be covered. The lamp on the left is looking fussy and old, too.


The area above the TV. The cds mounted underneath the shelf need to be taken down now that we have our large screen TV. The top shelf needs to be stained to match the lower.



 Here is the window wall with the brown drapes. They are excellent protection against the winter cold, but they are dark and heavy.

The repairs are to the right.

You can't tell from these pictures, but that rug, a curbside find, was stained beyond redemption. I put it out on the curb later in the summer.


The Vision:

The vibe I want is relaxed and casual. Nothing too fussy.



Love the blinds at the windows flanking the fireplace.
Love, love the chunky tops to the shelves.
Love, love love the cognac leather club chair.



The sofas.
The window blinds
The rug.
The light coloured walls.


Colour!
Yes. That rug.
(Wish I could have a brick wall, too.)
The whole bohemian vibe thing.

So, yeah, these images are all pretty different. I hope I can pull together something coherent from them all for my space.

So, are you ready for it?
(Am I?)

The Punch List:

Put up moulding on fireplace chimney breast
Put up moulding on window wall
Stain second pine shelf over TV to match the first one.
Spot prime the bleeding knots in the fireplace surround.
Paint it.
Top bookcases with wood and or/thick shelf.

Declutter books
Declutter dvds, cds, etc.
Make sure the TV is set up properly for devices to attach properly.

Peel and flatten top of log for a table
sew a couch cover from indigo denim
sew or buy a cushion cover for the poang chair
buy a rug
buy and install window blinds
sew either vertical trim or band the bottom of the dropcloth drapes
recover ottoman...zebra stripes?
buy low light plants

Still undecided:
bring back long rustic lunch bench?
stain floor w/multiple shades of blue?
get doors for 1/2 the bookcase?

I work part-time (up to 30 hours a week) so we will see if I can actually do this. I am worried. Why?I'll give you a hint: I've started looking for an 8x10 rug that can happily coexist with both the dog and our budget. I could probably spend all my free time for the next five weeks just trying to find it.

If you are visiting from the ORC, wish me luck! I'll come and see what you're up to. That's the best part of the ORC...making new friends in the midst of all the chaos. Check it all out at Calling It Home.

8 comments :

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I'm looking forward to watching the transformation happening.

Just think, in 30 days, you'll have a new room.

Enjoy the process.

FlowerLady

Alana in Canada said...

Yes, I guess yo're right! It won't be long...and I am so excited.

MMarie said...

I too am excited to see how your room turns out (no pressure!). You did such a lovely transformation on your mom's bedroom.

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you? I know there are several in Alberta. My Restore sells large rugs / carpets, and I was able to purchase a large piece of new carpet for under $100 (US) then trim it for our family room. It made a huge impact at an affordable price.

Alana in Canada said...

oooh Marie, I love that idea. We do have a re-store. (We've donated to them). I will call and check.

Elaine said...

Alana - I agree with you. I am enjoying meeting all of the other participants. Will look forward to seeing your makeover! I love the striped rugs!!!

Best,

Elaine
www.OMGlifestyle.com

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks, Elaine!

C a i t l i n said...

That is a loooong list! I love a woman with ambition. I think you can do it. -caitlin

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks, Caitlin! I will do my best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...